Briouat are quite popular in Morocco; and usually served as a finger food or appetizer. Briouats can be folded into cylinders or triangles.
- 1 whole chicken (cut into small pieces).
- 2 large onions, chopped .
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 inchs to 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads (crumbled)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 kg of filo pastry .
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable oil (to fry briouats)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten (to fold briouats)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (to folde briouats).
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Warm up a large pan over medium heat and mix the chicken with the spices and oils and cook until the meat is brown, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. the chicken is very tender and falls off the bones.
- Transfer the cooked chicken in ha large bowl. If you notice some liquid, drain the chicken of any excess water to prevent the filling from becoming wet.
- Continue cooking the onions and sauce in the pot for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the onions form a mass and the liquids are reduced to oils. Add the chopped cilantro and remove from the sauce from the heat. Then add the sauce to the chicken, and stir to coat the meat well.
Fold the briouats.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan or in the microwave. Unroll the filo and cut the pastry lengthways into 10 cm large and 30 cm long rectangles. Use a sharp knife to cut the pastry and keep the filo rectangles covered with a damp towel until ready to use to prevent from drying out.
- On a work surface, place a filo rectangle and brush it with melted butter. Top the corner of the rectangle with 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture and fold to form a triangle, up to the right and left, until a triangle is formed. Repeat until you’ve exhausted all the chicken mixture.
- Transfer the triangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with egg yolk and place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
- Serve it warm .