Zaalouk is one of the most basic salads of Moroccan cuisine, it is an eggplant ‘Aubergine’ salad which puts off a lot of people to begin with. Cooked salads are a big part of a Moroccan lunch, and you’ll rarely see lunch served without at least one salad or more than one .
you can have it as a side dish or a spread in a super tasty sandwich. it depends on your choice .
- 2 large aubergines .
- 4 tomatoes cut small .
- 2 tablespoons olive oil .
- 2 garlic gloves, finely chopped .
- 1 teaspoon paprika .
- 2 tsp cumin .
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander.
- 1 teaspoon salt .
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil and add all the ingredients. Cover over medium-low heat ;cook until softened , about 25 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to make sure the vegetables don’t stick to the pan.
- If you want you can add about 1/4 c of tomato sauce to make it smoother.
- Uncover, mash the vegetables and leave over medium heat until all liquids evaporate.
- Finaly add salt to taste. Serve it warm or cold, as a side.