Moroccan Loubia is a super simple white bean recipe. You can make it as spicy hot as you like. Some versions add lamb or beef …. but this is just a simple vegan version. It’s really just beans and onions and garlic and a few herbs and spices.
- 2 Cups Dry White Beans .
- 3 medium onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil .
- 1 tablespoons cumin seeds.
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt to taste
- 4 cups water
- 1tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoons ground paprika
- 1/4 tablespoons ground cumin.
- Rinse the beans in cold water, Allow to soak overnight.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed lidded pot over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and salt and slowly cook until the onions are tender and translucent .
- Add the spices and herbs and allow to cook a few minutes more, then add the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
- Drain the beans and add to the onion and spice mixture.
- Pour enough fresh water to just cover the beans.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook, covered, until the beans are tender (about 20 more minutes).
serve hot and enjoy .