Moroccan Msemmen “Rghiaf” Recipe
Msemmen is one of the best Moroccan foods that exist , it is a Moroccan fried bread. In Morocco, msemen (also known as “rghaif”) are enjoyed for breakfast or teatime with anything sweet or savoury , and you can have them at any time of the day.
The sweet fried bread is topped with melted butter and honey .
- 150 gr plain flour .
- 150 gr semolina flour .
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- 1½ cups warm water.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 20 gr melted butter.
- in a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients .
- Add 1½ cups of warm water, and mix to form a dough. If the mixture is too dry and you can’t form a dough, add a couple tablespoons of water bit by bit.
- If the dough is too sticky to handle, add a little flour one tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes, until the dough is very smooth and elastic.
- Set a bowl of the melted/soft butter and some oil aside.
- Cover your hands with oil.
- divide the dough in small balls
- Continue until all the dough is divided.
- Starting with the first ball you made, add more of the butter mixture to your hands and work surface. Flatten the ball to a very, very thin layer and Rub some oil on top, and fold into thirds.
- Add some oil and sprinkle some semolina on the strip and fold again into thirds.
- Repeat the same process until you have folded all the dough balls.
- Add a small amount of oil and preheat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Starting with the first that you assembled, oil your hands and begin flattening the dough. It should be thin .
- • Gently place the flattened msemen on a warm pan and cook on each side turning several times until golden.
* If it does not turn to a golden color, you are not using enough oil.
- Finally serve your msemen with melted butter and honey and a glass of mint tea. Then enjoy the tasty fried bread “msemen”. 🙂
One thought on “Moroccan Msemmen “Rghiaf” Recipe”
Can you tell us more about this? I’d care to find out more details.