Cornes of gazelle or what we call it in moroccan darija “KA’B AL GAZAL” its a traditional moroccan pastries. It is a type of a delicious cookies that are served during traditional ceremonies like weddings… The essential condition for the preparation of this cookies is that it should be golden after cooking.
For the dough we need :
- 2 cups of flour.
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil.
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey.
- 1 egg.
- 1 pinch salt.
- 2 teaspoons orange blossom water.
About the almond paste, we shoud have :
- 4 cups whole almonds, blanched and peeled.
- ½ cups sugar.
- ½ cup orange blossom water.
- 6 tablespoons butter.
- ½ teaspoon mastic (Arabic gum), ground.
For the top
- ¼ cup sunflower oil.
- Pour the flour, salt, melted butter, oil, honey and egg. In a large dishe, then Mix all ingredients and slowly add enough water to make a smooth dough.
- Cover with a clean cloth and let stand while preparing the almond past .
- Mix the blanched and peeled almonds with the sugar and grind them ideally with a meat grinder to make marzipan.
- Add the orange blossom water, butter and mastic. Then Knead well the marzipan.
- Divide the dough into 6 small balls.
- Place a ball on an oiled work surface and, using a very smooth and oiled pastry roll, roll the dough thinly.
- Place a strand of marzipan in the center of the pastry dough and fold it. Shape the dough in the shape of a crescent by pressing with your fingers to make the dough adhere to almond paste.
- Seal the edges by pressing strongly and cut the crescent with a serrated wheel.
- Place the cornes de gazelle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let them rest uncovered at room temperature for 15 hours, until they dry.
- Using a thin needle, poke each Cornes of gazelle 3 times on top, spacing the holes equally.
- Preheat oven to 340 F.
- Lightly brush oil on each Cornes of gazelle.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes until become golden, making sure that they do not turn brown.